Ohio is known for eight principal Native American tribes. They were the Delawares, Miamis, Wyandots, Ottawas, Senecas, Shawnees, Mingos, and the Eries. Central Ohio was peopled largely by the Delawares, Miamis, Shawnees, and Wyandots. Many Indian relics and artifacts have been found in Union County and are displayed at the Union County Historical Society.
Our Heritage Union County Historical Society 1949
Charles W. Fairbanks
Charles Warren Fairbanks was born May 11, 1852, on a farm near Unionville Center, Union County Ohio. He attended the public school at Unionville Center and the Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware Ohio. He studied Law in Cleveland Ohio and was admitted to the bar in 1874. That same year he married Miss Conelia Cole. The young attorney applied himself so diligently that by 1880 he was made General Solicitor for the Railroad. He was one of the first lawyers in the Middle West to be recognized as a business counselor in large affairs.
Early affiliating with the Republican party in Indiana, he took an active interest in all its politics and candidates. He was twice elected to the United States Senate from Indiana. In 1905 he was elected Vice-President of the United States with Theodore Roosevelt as President. He passed away on June 4th, 1918.
Our heritage Union County Historical Society 1949
1852 - 1918
This is the History of O. M. Scott, the founder of the O.M. Scott and Sons Company now called
THE SCOTTS MIRACLE-GRO COMPANY
Contrary to popular belief, Orlando McLean Scott was not born in Marysville. He was born in Licking County, in a small town south of Newark, Ohio, named Jacksontown and nicknamed Jacktown.
His great-great-grandfather, Hugh Scott, migrated from Ireland in 1670 to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His American-born son Abram became the father of another Hugh II, who was a left-handed blacksmith and also ran a hardware business. In 1774 Hugh II left Gettysburg and moved west to Pigeon Creek, Pennsylvania. In 1811, a third Hugh, moved his wife and 9 children to Ohio, along Zane’s Trace. They arrived at Jacksontown, where this Hugh Scott had purchased 230 acres from a man that was a veteran of the Revolutionary War.
There James Scott was born. James had 3 girls and 5 boys, one of which was Orlando McLean Scott, born in 1837, nick-named Landy.
In 1857 the Scotts moved to Delaware, Ohio to seek more business opportunities. Delaware was 15 times larger than Jacktown and had industry and education. Landy was 20 years old and went to teachers college there and became a teacher in Olentangy Village. In addition, he worked for a butcher shop.
In 1862 the Civil War started. Confederal General Braxton Bragg, was threatening Cincinnati and the Governor called for volunteers to defend Ohio. Landy volunteered and joined the 121stOhio Volunteer Infantry. Due to his butcher shop experience and teacher education, he was made Quartermaster. The Quartermaster was in charge of supplying the troops with food. The first battle he was involved with, was in Perryville, Kentucky, where they stopped General Bragg.
After that, he was placed in General Sherman’s army in 1863 and marched with him to the sea, through Atlanta and Savannah. During that time he was made Sargent and then second Lieutenant in 1865. He was 28 years old.
Landy’s business sense saw a need among the soldiers for paper and pens. He wrote home and arranged to buy quantities of both and sell them to fellow soldiers. He did this throughout the war.
The war was winding down and the soldiers were heading north. On March 20th, Landy was riding a horse looking for food for the troops in Bentonville, North Carolina, when he was shot in the right thigh by a Rebel sharpshooter. Luckily it missed the bone or it would have had to be amputated. He was loaded into a horse-drawn ambulance and carried three days to a hospital in Goldsboro.
General Lee surrendered on April 9th, President Lincoln was shot on the 14th, on the 26thall the Confederates surrendered. Landy spent 6 weeks in a hospital in Goldsboro, N.C., lying on the floor most of the time due to a lack of beds.
After healing, he was mustered-out in Columbus, Ohio and looked for work there, but he was influenced to go to Marysville by A.B. Robinson, a Marysville resident, whom he served under during the war. He went to Marysville in the spring of 1866. Marysville had over a thousand residents and a young lady named Herriot Guthrie, whom Landy had grown-up within Jacktown.
Landy made friends in Marysville and lived in a boarding house. His war connections put him into contact with a Marysville banker, William W. Woods, that wanted to take advantage of the agriculture in Union County and started a grain elevator in Peoria six miles away. Woods chose Landy to manage it and he traveled daily to the mill by horse or sleigh.
Peoria had a railroad connection with the Atlantic and Great Western railroads and they shipped grain to Chicago grain markets. Landy learned the business and was at the hub of Marysville business life and soon wanted to work for himself. He teamed up with a chap who worked as a railroad agent, who had the same business interest. This was Robert Henderson who was the same age and his ancestors had come from the same part of Pennsylvania as Landy. They decided to open a store on South Main Street and sell farm implements, hardware, and sewing machines. In 1868 Landy was elected village recorder and then became a trustee. Then he bought a lot at 6thand Plum streets, which would become the site of the original O. M. Scott Seed Elevator. He bought the lot from Noah Orr, the Marysville Giant. Then in 1869, he left the partnership with Henderson and bought a hardware store on South Main. He married his Jacktown sweetheart, Harriet Guthrie, she was 18, he was 33 years old, and he was on his way to starting a great business: The O.M. Scott and Sons Company.
Submitted by Ron Boylan
Edward Weller was born in England in 1808. He received his early training in pottery from his father, Thomas Weller. Edward came to the United States when he was 25. A few years later he moved to Watkins, Union County Ohio. He was immediately attracted to the yellow clay of this region. He bought a parcel of 90 acres of land along Milford Center Road and decided to go into the pottery business. He made crocks, jars, jugs, bowls of all sizes, pots, plates, mugs,and vases. He also made drainage tiles for farmers. His son, Thomas Weller joined the business and the business was called Weller Tile and Pottery (1855). It was a huge business in Union County for 50 years. Edward passed away in 1889 at the age of 89. His son Thomas continued the business until 1900.
Our Heritage Union County Historical Society 1949
1808 - 1889
Reuben L. Partridge was born in Wilmington, NY in 1823. In 1836 Partridge moved to Marysville and began to learn the carpentry craft while building carriages with his brother. In 1855 Reuben accepted his first contract to build the first self-supporting bridge in Union County. By 1866 Partridge was building bridges full-time. In 1872 he received a patent for his truss design. By 1883 Partridge had built over 125 bridges, most of them in Union County and nearby counties. Over the course of his life, Partridge served as a member of the Marysville City Council, as the Paris Township Clerk, and as a Paris Township Trustee. He was a part of the first militia formed in Union County. He also was very active in raising money and support for service groups from Union County who served in both the Mexican War and the Civil War. In 1896 he designed a Victorian-style home in Marysville as a 50th wedding anniversary gift for his wife. Partridge died in August 1900, as a result of injuries he sustained while removing a covered bridge.
1823 - 1900
Noah Orr was born in Darby Township in 1834. He was always greatly oversized for his age. He was well over seven feet tall. At age 17, he was working as a farmhand when P.T. Barnum, the showman, heard of him. He was interviewed to be the “giant” in Barnums “Greatest Show on Earth”. Orr was reluctant to consider the offer, but his employer, Mr. Andrews, realized that his size, so often an odd handicap in ordinary pursuits, would here be an unusual and profitable asset, and urged Noah to accept. He traveled with Barnum for many years, visiting many parts of the world. He eventually left to establish his own company with a group of midgets called “Lilliputions” and playing “Jack the Giant Killer”.
Noah loved children and his famous large chair was a gift from his juvenile friends. This chair is displayed at the Union County Historical Society. Noah Orr passed away in 1882 at his home in Marysville from complications due to rheumatic fever.