For over 150 years, Richwood Bank has been dedicated to service and our communities. Our goal is to inspire, protect and celebrate anything that helps communities thrive. Richwood Bank is, first and foremost, community. As a company, we strive to build up our communities and provide the financial services, products, and knowledge that allow our families, friends, and neighbors to live fulfilled lives. Our employees support more than 160 nonprofits and participate in nearly 100 events annually with over 2,600 hours of volunteer time.
Community involvement has deep roots within Richwood Bank and has transcended throughout our existence. Our first bank branch was built in 1977. We went live with online transactions in 1998. Opened three additional bank branches in the early 2000s. Developed an operations facility in 2005. In 2014, a marketing department was added. In 2015, we opened our first coffee shop with 100% of donations reinvested into community nonprofits. Today, Richwood Bank has eight branch locations spanning across Central Ohio, four valued service lines and three coffee shop locations.
Our unique and innovative approaches to community banking have allowed us to stay relevant and stand out. From checking accounts and coffee, to loans and marketing, Richwood Bank and its employees continue to be change agents. Our innovative service and community dedication have earned us six consecutive years of recognition as a Columbus CEO top workplace, honored as Extraordinary Bank of the Year in 2015, accolades in both internal culture and financial literacy, and most recently, awarded a 2019 Best Workplace in Financial Services and Insurance by Fortune Magazine.
THIS IS THE HISTORY OF THE O.M. SCOTT COMPANY NOW CALLED
THE SCOTTS MIRACLE-GRO COMPANY.
In 1880 Marysville’s population was 2000. Marysville was booming and Orlando Mclean Scott was doing well. Having been an officer in the Civil War, becoming a trustee of the Village of Marysville and opening a successful hardware business, the highly respected O. M. Scott took a giant leap and rented the three-story building on South Main Street to expand his hardware business. This is the site of the current Scotts Retail Store. It included 12,000 square feet of space and 3 floors plus the basement. He installed a dumbwaiter and the first thing he did was give his 5-year-old son Dwight a ride.
He sold everything Marysville wanted and needed, including stoves, sewing machines, farm seed and by 1881 his sales reached $75,000. He employed up to 15 people and soon brought his brother Judson into the business, by selling him half the interest. The business was now O.M. Scott and Bro. O.M. expanded his real estate holdings at 6thand Plum, which later became the site of the first Scott’s seed elevator and office. It is the current site of the gazebo at the corner of Partner’s Park.
As part of his hardware business, O.M. sold farm seed by the pound but he could not conscientiously sell a pound of seed, after learning from his days at the grain elevator in Peoria, that a third of it was “weed seed”, so he bought a seed cleaner. It was hand-operated and used screens to filter out seeds by size and this very cleaner is in Scotts Corporate Building today. The word got around about his “revolutionary clean seed” and farmers came from far away to get his “weed-free farm seed”.
The Scotts business boomed due to his innovation. The store was open from 6:30 am, until late in the evening and he got the first telephone in town in 1894. He had the first home delivery service anywhere: his horse Phoebe was hitched to the post in front. If you bought too much to carry, like a new sewing machine, you could put it in Phoebe’s wagon and drive home; then tie the reins to the wagon and she would come back to the store on her own. He sold the Baker electric buggy, high wheel bicycles and cookstoves. In 1898, O.M. was appointed to the Ohio Hardware Association; he was 61, and Son Dwight, now 23, having attended Otterbein College, would become the store leader in the coming twentieth century.
Dwight Scott continued the O.M. Scott technique of advertising and bold merchandising. He gave free samples of biscuits cooked on the Home Pride cooking stove, which the store sold, gave free coffee and pre-packaged garden and flower seeds. He also started the later to be known as “the Scotts No-Quibble Guarantee” by saying “if they don’t grow, bring them back for a full refund”.
In 1900 Dwight brought more property on Main Street and O.M.’s Brother Judson retired as a partner and became Treasurer of Union County. In 1906 Dwight sold the hardware business and focused on the clean-seed business. Farmers were coming for more of Scotts clean farm seed that O.M. had started years before. Dwight looked to expand this market to neighboring states by producing a book called Weeds and Seeds and How to Know Them, written by O.M.’s brother-in-law Reverend Harvey C. Colburn. The success of this book led him to develop a mailing list of farm customers. He advertised in farm journals and ads for Scotts Weed-less Seeds were everywhere. Dwight’s timing was great. The first Federal Seed Importation Act was passed in 1912 and 31 states had passed quality seed laws. He was on the ground floor of the seed cleaning technology with several innovations and his own cleaning equipment. In 1914 his farm seed sales reached $5,500 per month and the Family decided to incorporate as the O.M. Scott and Sons Company and the future was set.
But how did they get from farm seed to lawn seed? Kentucky Bluegrass was a pasture grass sold to farmers and had long been used in Europe as a golf course grass. The word “Scotts clean seed” reached a New York real estate firm that was planning to build a golf course on Long Island. They asked for 5000 pounds of Scotts grass seed for their golf course called Brentwood in the Pines. That single unsolicited order started the business on the way to the position The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company enjoys today.
Submitted by Ron Boylan
Wildi and Nestle´
Nestle’ history is a significant part of Marysville. It started in October of 1907 when John Wildi came here from Illinois. He had an established milk company in Illinois and made sales calls in this area. It is not known why he chose Marysville for his milk plant, he probably saw all the dairy farms in the area and must have seen an opportunity for a milk perseveration business. He bought seven and a half acres from Samuel Barr on the site of the current Westreco Company. It was called the John Wildi Evaporated Milk Company and he paid $2,055. for the land.
Wildi brought Frederick Widman, who was an architect with him to design the factory. Wildi also needed a good supply of quality water and Marysville could not provide it, so he drilled a 212 foot well and cased it with 8 inch steel pipe, never heard of at that time.
In November, 19 teams of horses were at work grading the site. 4000 yards of gravel and sand were delivered to the site along with 30 boxcars of cement and 1.5 million bricks from Delaware, Ohio. The Big 4 Railroad that served Marysville put a rail-spur to the site due to the large amount of building materials needed. Local businessmen were beginning to see an opportunity to make money and an ad was placed in the Marysville Tribune by a cattle merchant offering prime dairy cattle for sale and a wagon dealer began making spring wagons for farmers to haul their milk.
In December 1907, Mr. Wildi offered contracts to local dairymen for 125,000 pounds of milk per day starting in May of 1908. He told them what breed of cattle he wanted and what to feed them. He explained what the milk should look, smell and taste like and how to deliver it to the factory. The factory became a major landmark because of its 85-foot chimney and the building had 12 foot thick walls, all made of Delaware brick. The tall smoke stack was visible for miles and would remain for the next 87 years. There was so much skilled labor required that by March of 1908, Marysville was having a housing shortage as a result of Wildi employees coming from Wildi’s home plant in Highland, Illinois. There were two major parts of the plant: the evaporators and the metal can making part. In June 1908 the plant received the first delivery of milk from local farmer John T. Snitzler. The plant had 40 employees, and cost $250,000 to build.
Tragically, John Wildi died at 53 years of age in 1910. A manager from the Highland, Illinois plant moved here and took charge of the very successful Company. His name was John Montgomery.
In 1914, WWI created a boom in the evaporated milk business. Each soldier was issued 16 ounces of evaporated milk per day. The market went to new heights. By 1918, the John Wildi Evaporated Milk Company had 14 plants in the U.S. and had grown into the biggest milk concern in the world
About this time Nestle’ of Switzerland started buying up condensed milk companies all over the U.S. They made a deal with Mr. Montgomery and the Wildi Company was sold to them. In that same year, the name changed to Nestle’ Food Company of Marysville, Ohio.
The importance of the milk industry to Marysville was revealed in an article in the Marysville Tribune, August 6, 1919, under the headline: Million Dollars Paid Out in 1918 by Milk Company. $900,000 was paid to farmers and $100,000 was paid to plant employees. Most of this money found its way into the channels of local trade. Thus another success in the History of Marysville.
Submitted by Ron Boylan
Turner's Machine Shop
Richard Turner, owner and proprietor of the Marysville Foundry and Machine Co., made one of the first automobiles to be made in Ohio and perhaps one of the earliest gasoline cars ever to be made in 1900. While constructing steel bridges in Union County and other counties, Mr. Turner conceived the idea of building a gasoline driven vehicle which would more easily move heavy steel timbers to bridge sites than a horse drawn carriage. The automobile was the result. Being a natural mechanic, Mr. Turner made all the mechanical parts for the car himself. The entire car was made and set up in the machine shop of the Marysville Foundry Co. on South Walnut St. Turners Automobile was a decided success and was a familiar sight around town for over 10 years